A Working With Children Check (WWCC) is a National and State safety requirement and forms part of the Child Safety Standards.
The Alliance is a Not For Profit Organisation with a Do No Harm Policy, and as such supports and requires a Clearance or Exemption for members that –
1. have unsupervised access with children and/or vulnerable people such as the Aged, Veterans or Disabled;
2. hold a position on the Alliance Board of Management, a Branch, a Committee or Team, etc. as unpaid volunteers.
It involves a Police Check (criminal history record check) and a continuing review of any reportable workplace misconduct. The outcome of a check is either an exemption or clearance to work with children or a bar against working with children.
For the purpose of this Policy, Working With Children includes working with vulnerable people, as well as the Aged, Veterans, Disabled, etc.
A Clearance or Exemption will be continuously monitored for any new relevant offences or workplace records to ensure that the check remains current, as required within the Laws of the State of issue.
- Non-compliance with this Policy is a serious safety breach of the Code of Conduct and may result in an instant response to terminate any appointed or elected position in the Alliance unless a Clearance/Exemption is pending within a reasonable time, after an Application has been made.
- A member that requires a WWCC Clearance for an activity and is non-compliant shall not be entitled to any support or assistance from the Alliance for all such operations until such time as compliance becomes effective and can be confirmed.
- A member with an Exemption is required to provide a copy of the card or document to confirm the exemption otherwise be considered as non-compliant.
An adult must apply in their own right because an ID Check is part of the process.
The following details are suggested as information –
- Members operating as a Business may be able to include any Fees as a taxable deduction and a Clearance can be used as an advertising item.
- Members that operate in any role for or on behalf of the Alliance can indicate that their purpose is as a Volunteer for Religious Purposes. Any applicable fees are usually reduced or free, as in NSW.
The requirements, Fees, Application Forms for a Check or Exemption and Process are different at every State/National level and includes Penalties for Non-Compliance
As a guide the Alliance provides this information. (Click on the relevant Square)
1. You will require a State Clearance or Exemption for every State in which you operate, or you have a National Clearance or Certificate of Exemption.
2. The preferred option sought by the Alliance is the National Police Check.
Everyone, especially our younger and vulnerable population are dependent on and entitled to receive our full support and encouragement in a safe environment within the community.
The Alliance supports the Child Safety Standards.
This Policy is an indication of the commitment of the Alliance to the Health and Safety of all Members and every person involved in any activity organised to meet our Aims and Objectives.